Eugenie Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Handcrafting and E-commerceIt is an Odd Juxtaposition

The evolution of the handcrafting world and its migration to on-line marketing may sound like a strange juxtaposition, but in fact, e-Commerce has become a significant contributing factor to the sustainability of the craft industry in the US. I should know; my business wouldn't be here today if I had not made that transition myself. If you are in the craft business and have not created an on-line presence, please read on.

I began working with wood in the mid-80's. A vision of making outrageously beautiful pieces that would that would touch people's hearts and remind them of their interior lives began to take hold in my mind. While I was successful in attaining my goal of having my boxes sold in the very best galleries in the country, I found that despite hard work, long hours, and outstanding product, it was difficult to make ends meet and to justify the amount of personal and financial investment.

In 1999 the World Wide Web, as it was called then, was just beginning to be taken seriously as a marketing tool. I began to imagine what it might be like to sell directly to the customer instead of through galleries. While it concerned me to give up the security of the standing orders each show generated, the business to business marketing model and accompanying margins simply were not sustainable. I decided to create a web site and my wife and I worked together to design, write copy and create product photographs. It felt a bit like being an explorer in the New World: not a lot of maps and no one in my situation from which to ask for advice. But the business case for the site was compelling--selling my products directly to customers at twice their wholesale price made the margins a lot more workable. The site went live that fall and I spent most of the Christmas season on the phone selling product--my site delivered solid financial results. And the rest is history.

This story might be yours as well. As a crafter, you know the attention to detail you take in creating your products. That same dedication can be put forth into building your presence on-line. Creating a solid on-line presence is similar to the effort that goes into each piece. Each detail cant be overlooked. Here are some things that have helped me along the way.

Hire a good photographer. This is crucial to any web site, especially if you only sell on-line.

In the beginning you'll want to hire a good webmaster, but eventually, if possible, you should learn how to maintain your site yourself. You'll save yourself money and gain a better understanding of the business.

Investigate generating sales through Pay-Per-Click campaigns such as with Google AdWords and Yahoo's Overture.

When you're on-line, much of the personal element is lost. To make up for lacking a "store front" where you can interface directly with your clientele, put as much of yourself and personal style into your web site as possible. This includes indicating that you, the handcrafter, are available by telephone or e-mail to support any questions.

Making the transition to selling handcrafted pieces on-line may not be for everyone. Its a competitive market out there today, but there are many tools available. You have the passion and desire to create beautiful crafts. Why not take the initiative to ensure that your work is available to as many customers as possible? Its worth consideration.

Russell Pool has been perfecting the art of quality wooden box creation for over two decades. Each piece he creates reflects his passion for quality and his love for the spiritual qualities of balance, beauty, and getting things naturally right. To learn more about his work, visit http://www.jewelry-chests.com.Hyacinthe Blog44889
Charles Blog37045

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home